Are Jehovah’s Witnesses the True People of God?
The people who call themselves “Jehovah’s Witnesses” are well known for their efforts to spread their doctrines. In 2014, they claimed they conducted 9.2 million studies with people in their homes. It is sad that those who work so hard are teaching false doctrines instead of the truth.
The sect known as “Jehovah’s Witnesses” had its beginning in the late 1800’s with a man named Charles Taze Russell. Russell taught Christ would return to the earth in 1914. The fact that He did not return proved Russell was a false prophet (Deuteronomy 18:21-22; Matthew 24:36-51).
Charles T. Russell began an organization to spread his ideas. It is called The Watchtower Bible and Tract Society. Since this organization began, they have distributed more than one billion tracts and books, promoting the doctrines of Russell and those who followed him.
When Russell died, J. F. “Judge” Rutherford became the new leader of the Watchtower Society. Russell’s followers began calling themselves “Jehovah’s Witnesses” under Rutherford’s leadership. In 1920, he wrote a book called Millions Now Living Will Never Die. In this book he taught those who were faithful to God would be resurrected in 1925. It never happened! Rutherford, like Russell, was proved to be a false prophet (Deuteronomy 18:21-22). Rutherford died of cancer in 1942. Since that time, this organization has grown greatly. According to their own claims, there were more than six million “Jehovah’s Witnesses” in the world in 2001.
The “Jehovah’s Witnesses” teach many things that are different from the teaching of the Bible.
One of their biggest errors is that they deny Jesus is God. They say He is a created being just like all other created beings. They believe He is equal to an angel. But the Bible does not teach this! The Bible says Jesus is God:
In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. The same was in the beginning with God. All things were made through him; and without him was not anything made that hath been made. (John 1:1-3). Other verses which teach Jesus is God are Acts 20:28 and John 20:18-29.
“Jehovah’s Witnesses” have published their own version of the Bible called “The New World Translation.” They have changed verses which teach that Jesus is God to make them fit their belief. This is not an honest way to use the Scriptures! God will punish those who change His Word (Revelation 22:18-19).
The “Jehovah’s Witnesses” also teach falsely about the kingdom. They say it began in 1914. The New Testament teaches the kingdom existed in the first century. Paul wrote to the Christians at Colossae that Christ had
translated us into the kingdom of the Son of his love (Colossians 1:13). The Apostle John said he was in the kingdom (Revelation 1:9). The Bible teaches the church and the kingdom are the same (Matthew 16:18-19; Ephesians 1:22-23). The church of Christ, which is the kingdom of Christ, began on the first Pentecost day after the resurrection of Christ (Acts 2). This was in fulfillment of the prophecies that the kingdom would be established in Jerusalem in the last days when the Roman kings were ruling (Joel 2:28-32; Isaiah 2:2-3; Daniel 2:44).
Another error taught by the “Jehovah’s Witnesses” is that there will be no eternal punishment. They do not believe in Hell. They teach that the unrighteous will cease to exist. The Bible does not teach this. Jesus spoke of the Judgment in Matthew 25:31-46. He said the righteous will be separated from the unrighteous. The unrighteous be sent into everlasting punishment (verse 46). Jesus spoke of Hell as the place
where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched (Mark 9:43-49). This means the suffering does not stop. Revelation 14:11 tells of the condition of the wicked after death:
and the smoke of their torment goeth up for ever and ever; and they have no rest day and night...
Many other false doctrines are taught by the “Jehovah’s Witnesses.” They say that Jesus came in 1914, but was unseen by human eyes. The Bible says that when Jesus comes,
every eye shall see him (Revelation 1:7). They teach some will live forever upon this earth, but the Bible says that the
the earth and the works that are therein shall be burned up (2 Peter 3:10). They deny that Jesus’ body was raised from the grave. The Bible teaches His body was raised from the grave. It still bore the scars of the nail prints and the wound in His side (John 20:24-29).
The “Jehovah’s Witnesses” are false witnesses.
They have changed God’s Word in many ways. They are leading many people astray (Matthew 7:15-20). God will punish them for their false teaching (Galatians 1:6-9).
Jesus Christ in the only true way to God (John 14:6).
How to Identify the One True Church:
- Know what the One True Church is
- The word “church” comes from the Greek word which means those who are “called out.”
- The church is the Body of Christ (Colossians 1:18)
- The church is the Bride of Christ (Ephesians 5:22-27)
- The church is the Family of God (I Timothy 3:15)
- The church is the Pillar and Ground of Truth (I Timothy 3:15)
- Know the Founder of the One True Church
- Jesus promised to build His church (Matthew 16:18)
- Jesus purchased the church with His blood (Acts 20:28)
- Jesus is the head of the church (Colossians 1:18)
- The church is His spiritual body (Colossians 1:18)
- Know when the One True Church began
- It was promised in the last days of Jerusalem (Isaiah 2:2-4)
- The church was near in John’s day (Matthew 3:1-2)
- Jesus told His disciples that they should not taste of death till they see the kingdom of God come with power (Mark 9:1)
- They were told that they would receive that power when the Holy Spirit came upon them (Acts 1:8)
- All these things came to pass on Pentecost (Acts 2)
- Know how the One True Church is described
- The church of the Lord (Acts 20:28)
- The church of God (I Corinthians 1:1-2)
- The body of Christ (Ephesians 4:12)
- The church of Christ (Romans 16:16)
- Know what God offers in the One True Church
Did you enjoy that? Check out a related tract or article: